Thursday, January 10, 2008

OB Appointment #6

Today was glucose test day! I arrived at the Dr's office and went straight to the lab where I got to drink THE sweetest, orange flavored, flat tasting soda EVER. Oddly enough, I was given FIVE minutes to drink this 10 oz concoction. I joked with the nurse that the "chug" time limit reminded me of college days.....she wasn't too amused. She just instructed me to come back in 1 hour so she could draw blood to send in for gestational diabetes screening. I cut my humor losses and headed upstairs to see Liz.

A lot of this appointment went like the last...routine weighing (no, I WON'T post the numbers....they would startle you... ha ha), urine target practice, blood pressure, etc. Everything checked out, baby's heart was thumping away at 156 BPM and I grew 2 cm over the last 2 weeks, all healthy and normal things. The sugary drink before seeing Liz tho got Peanut in an uproar. When she started the Doppler and went after the heartbeat, Peanut kicked the Doppler wand dead SQUARE, making it jump off my belly. At the same time, on the other side of my belly, he/she must have punched at the same time. I've never seen my belly take on such a weird shape. This playing/kicking went on for a few minutes until things settled down a little. The doc chuckled and commented, 'Boy, talk about attitude!' She assured me though that there was no such thing as an over-active baby, and the fact that Peanut moves around almost constantly is a sign of a healthy baby.

This time I came prepared to the appointment. She always asks me if I have ANY questions about anything...and I can never think of anything on the spot. This time, I came with a list. I asked her about things ranging from Braxton-Hicks contractions (I haven't had any....yet) to classes for Dan and I to take to protein or carbs leading to larger or smaller babies. She took her time with each one, despite being about 1/2 hour behind, which was great because I had to be at the clinic an hour anyway for the glucose to run thru my system.

I went back down to the lab to see the nurse to get her blood sample. She seemed to be in a better mood this time, which I am thankful for because she did an excellent job sticking me! I'll find out the results tomorrow. Today I am 26 weeks, and 1 day pregnant, or in my 27th week. Where did this second trimester go?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for happy, healthy, kicking baby!!! :)