Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving & Our Little Turkey

This last weekend our family traveled to IA for the Thanksgiving holiday. We left Wednesday, traveled to my dad's place, left there Thursday at 2 or so, hit Dan's family's gathering, and then were in LaCrosse by 8 Thursday night. It was quite the trip. Isabelle traveled wonderfully, until driving back in the snow on Sunday evening. However, that is another story that I will not share here...it's just what typically happens to a youngster who is over-tired, tired of being constrained to her seat, and seems to just want to be home. Izzy did great with both families, successfully charming just about everyone - nieces and nephews included. So far there hasn't been much in the way of stranger anxiety or separation anxiety, for which I am thankful. She does seem to get a little worried at first, but settles into 'conversation' fairly quickly.

Well, now that Isabelle has mastered getting back to a sitting position, it was time for her to turn her attention to crawling, or so I thought. However, she can't seem to get enough of the upright stance instead. Every moment possible during the Thanksgiving weekend was spent pulling up or trying to stand. At one point at Aunt Linda's, Izzy figured out that she could move along the floor by standing behind a plastic Tupperware tote and pushing it on the hardwood floor. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw her do this.

Last night, she decided to brave. Now, she will pull herself upright, and if she is not tuckered out, she will.....LET.....GO. The first time I was holding onto her hands and she let go, I swear my heart skipped a beat. So....it begins. The steady progression of letting go of her, little by little. No one told me it would come so soon. (OK, I know she's not heading to college any time soon or anything, but I felt a shadow of the gravity of all the little moments like this to come.)

SO! All this work on walking and pulling up...I had wondered if she would ever really crawl to motate, or just decide to walk. Today, Dan picked Izzy up from the sitter. She told him that Izzy had crawled into the kitchen after her, away from the other kids, to see what she was up to! Sure enough, while we were playing tonight, Izzy had no trouble motating on all 4's when I was enticing her to come to me. She is now fully equipped to get into a whole heap of trouble. Look out world! (Thank you, Aunt Terri, for the baby gates) At the very least, the one at the top of the stairs MUST get installed this week!

Here are some pictures from the weekend. These are from the gathering at my dad's house (thanks, Aunt Trudi!). Unfortunately the rest of the weekend I was too busy keeping up with Isabelle to have my camera handy!


Isabelle exploring dish soap bubbles during Thanksgiving dinner clean-up.

Aunt Traci knows all the good jokes!

...I can't come up with a caption for this picture, it just makes me laugh.

Izzy on her way up to standing by the couch.

Izzy telling mom a story. I love her stories.

0 comments: