Thursday, February 7, 2008

OB Appointment #8

Today marked my 30 week appointment with the doc. All the usual things took place. I talked with her about some concerns that I have regarding the upcoming events, as well as the leave I will take once Peanut decides to arrive. Her 'million dollar question' to me today was "Have you thought about birth control for after the baby has arrived?" Honestly, this is the last thing on my mind, but she's just putting it out there so we don't accidentally have 2 children that are really close together. I'm not convinced that I need to worry about that JUST yet, as there are other pressing matters weighing more heavily on my mind...things like labor, delivery, and what will happen in the days immediately following.

Anyway, all was well...Peanut is growing as they should, despite my not having gained any weight since my last appointment (yay). Heart rate still thumping away at 152 BPM. Since my appointment was in the AM, I mentioned that I was surprised that the 'Nut wasn't kicking at the Doppler since it was prime kickboxing class time. She responded that she was listening to his/her heart rate thru their back, where they didn't have a way to kick at the sensor. His/her BACK! I asked her how she could tell one part from another, or have an idea of the orientation. I don't know exactly WHAT I thought....I guess I just figured Peanut was swimming around in there, doing flips and somersaults with no real defined position....never really thought about orientation. Lately, though, I have noticed that the movements have changed. Not in the time or frequency so much, but where they are....these days I'm getting more kicked in the ribs instead of the bladder or cervix, which is a relatively new development. Anyway, back to Liz explaining position. She explained that if you press gently, you can tell. The long firmer spot is the back, and the emptier, more bumpy places are feet, knees, elbows, etc. From my asking the question and being interested, she felt for Peanut along my belly a bit, and we determined that Peanut is now mooning me with their head down and facing my right side, which is why I am starting to feel stretches and kicks to my ribs and right side. He/she can still move and flip if the mood strikes, so this isn't any indication of an early delivery. I must admit though, my bladder and kidneys are enjoying the break from the boxing!

A pal of mine sent me a link to an article that I really identified with. Here's the link:
http://lifestyle.msn.com/familyandparenting/raisingkids/articlemc.aspx?cp-documentid=6141899&GT1=10921
Those of you that know me well will understand. ;)

0 comments: