Thursday, November 6, 2008

What a Trooper!

Wednesday Isabelle was able to get her 6 month shots. When she went in for her 6 month well check, she had a cold and the doc would rather be safe than sorry....and so would we! So yesterday we went in. Let me preface this by saying I hate seeing Izzy hurt. I HATE it. That is not a word I use lightly. So, I expected the worst when we went in. My favorite nurse came in, got things lined up, she had me hold Izzy's arms, and almost that quickly it was over with, 1, 2, 3. Did Izzy cry? Sure, but I picked her up after the third poke and she almost instantly stopped crying and started eying the nurse over as she started trying to use me as her personal jungle gym (her new thing). The rest of the day she was in a great mood too. I just shook my head....she never ceases to surprise me. Today however, she had a rough day. This time we had a little reaction to the shots. Nothing major, some local swelling, loss of appetite (she only ate 2 oz at the sitter all day), and some fussiness. After a bottle and a nap though, she seemed to be on the mend. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Besides using Mom and Dad as instruments for practice climbing, Izzy is becoming more mobile all the time. No crawling yet, but she's getting really good at getting where she wants to go by rolling and rotating around. There are times now also where she will study you when you are talking to her like she's trying to figure out what you're saying or like she's trying to figure out how to make the same sounds...I'm not sure which. She is starting to respond to her name, but mom or dad calling to her is not always the most exciting thing going on. Izzy, just yesterday, has also successfully fed herself 3 little puffs. Now that she's been successful with a few, she seems more eager to try more self feeding. Any suggestions out there for other appropriate finger foods for a curious 7 month old? Most of the time she still forgets to let go of the puff once she brings it to her mouth....and then forgets that it's stuck to her hand....but we're working on it. The other fine motor skill she's working on is the one-finger poke. She pokes that little finger at everything, from textures to toys, and yes even at Magnum's ear. It's a good thing that Magnum has bonded with Izzy so well...he's had his fair share of little cheek tugs at the mercy of little hands already. He doesn't seem to mind too much tho. He will just look at me patiently and sigh....or start giving Izzy kisses and then the giggling begins!

The other thing I have noticed is that if I'm carrying her and something is juuuust out of her sight, like around a corner, she will lean out and try to see around the corner to spot what she is looking for. When she does this she raises her eyebrows like she's about to see something really good! I need to try to capture my little goofball doing this before the expression is gone.

That's the thing about these little ones. They do so many things you would like to preserve, and then before you know it they've moved onto the next thing and it's gone. This journey has been so much different that I thought it would be, and it's effected me so much more and deeply than I thought anything ever could. It's amazing what's there, what lies dormant for our kids within us that we know nothing about until they are with us.

Izzy and Magnum between Trick-or-Treaters on Halloween. Note both parties seem to HATE this extra attention.
See what I mean about calling her name not being the most exciting thing going on at the moment?
Enjoying some swing time in this great November weather.
Baby engineer hard at work...note the finger...it seems to come out when she's thinking...
We will miss this weather when it's gone!

0 comments: