Wednesday, August 6, 2008

First Fever and Waking Up Again!

It's been an interesting week in our household. Many more firsts. This last weekend, we had our first low-grade fever. It started Friday and lasted thru Sunday morning. Izzy was a pretty good sport thru it, but you could tell she just didn't feel good. Even before the fever started, she just wasn't herself...and hadn't been for about a week and a half. Not many smiles, cranky and just generally not the sunny, talkative little person that we've come to know. She started to get better Sunday, was about 50% Monday 75% Tuesday, and today she seems about back to normal. I've never been so glad to see a smiling face as I was hers today. I mentioned to Dan that you really don't think about your baby having a personality until it changes or disappears for awhile. I'd never really thought of Isabelle as a particularly sunny little gal until she clouded over and didn't feel well.

What she's up to this week: playing with BOTH her hands at once, using them both to play with something, and learning more about her 'stern' voice. I'm not sure if you've ever heard a baby sound like they're giving someone what-for, but we're getting a kick out of it. Other developments: She SO wants to sit up. She can't do it herself yet, but she tries really hard if given the chance. My friend Jen found us a bumbo-like seat for a steal at a rummage sale and Izzy loves that, although I can tell she will have no time for it once she doesn't need it's help. She's also starting to position herself differently when I carry her sometimes. She will grab onto my arm with one arm and push herself away with her other arm so she can see what I'm doing and where we are going instead of what's behind me. This is a pose I usually see older babies in...I keep telling her that she doesn't need to grow up so fast....that usually earns me a big gummy grin.

The not-so-great development is that she has been getting up at night. We have been SO lucky to have had a sleeper since 6 weeks of age, we're not used to the getting up thing. Monday night she was sternly talking to her mobile for what seems like all night, and last night she was fairly upset....usually around 1:30 or 2. We're not sure what's up with that, if it's her new developments or if it's partially getting over the bug or what. One thing that could be a contributor...we switched sitters on Monday. Our original sitter is back from maternity leave and ready to take over Izzy's care from her mom, Marlene. I will miss Marlene dearly, I was just getting really comfortable with her and I could ask her anything child related. Izzy was crazy about her too. Hopefully 'like mother like daughter' will be the case here. The new baby girl our sitter has is 1 month old. I can't believe the difference between her and Izzy...and it hasn't been that long ago! Anyway, that's a pretty big change in Izzy's world, so that could be messing with her sleep schedule too. We'll see what tonight brings.
And now on to some photos:
Isabelle checking out her Prince Lionheart seat.


Working on tummy time. Sometimes it isn't so bad these days, especially if you can squish the fish in the floor gym mat!

However, we aren't always happy....usually those little hands are waving when she's this upset too. Ah, the beginnings of tantrums.

In the seat with the weeble-wobble and the linking chain. Sitting up is serious work!

Yay! Grins with wrinkled noses and everything today. Our Isabelle is re-surfacing.


After her bath tonight. We were talking after putting on the lotion and she tried to do a sit-up, so I took her hands and pulled her up! She kept her head in line with her spine on the way up and sat right on the edge of the counter. Mom was only there for balance. What's next? Rolling over? Crawling? College? :P




1 comments:

Jen said...

Glad the seat is working out. It was a steal! I am glad to hear that she was a trooper thru her first fever, makes it easier on mommy & daddy (well a little). She is growing up so fast. Love the pictures.
Love, Jen